I am a software engineer at Facebook. I was until recently a Partner Researcher at Microsoft Research where I worked in the Software Analysis and Intelligence (SAINTes) team . I also hold an adjunct faculty appointment at IIIT New Delhi.
My research has been in the field of Data Analytics and Machine Learning for Software Engineering focusing on Analytics for Empirical Software Engineering, Software Reliability, Software Metrics, and Developer Productivity. My research projects are fairly interdisciplinary and span the spectrum of software analytics ranging from intelligent software design for games; identifying data center reliability to individual developer and team productivity. More recently my work has focused on the intersection of SE and AI.
An earlier article in the American Scientist that talks about some of our work!
* Jul ‘21: Test-of-Time award at ESEC/FSE 2021 (Athens) for our paper from ESEC/FSE 2011: Don’t touch my code!: examining the effects of ownership on software quality”
* Jan ‘21: ACM Fellow: Citation: “For contributions to empirical software engineering and data-driven software development.”
* Dec ‘20: Graduation speaker – Fall 2020 ceremony, Department of Computer Science, North Carolina State University, 2020.
* Nov ‘20: IEEE Fellow. Citation: “For Contributions to Software Reliability.”
* Nov ‘20: Outstanding Alumnus, Department of Computer Science, North Carolina State University. Induction to Alumni hall of Fame, 2020.
* Aug ‘20: ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished paper award at ASE for “Problems and Opportunities in Training Deep-Learning Software Systems: An Analysis of Variance”
* Jul ‘20: My Harlan Mills Award talk is available here. Thanks again for the fantastic questions! As the saying goes, “If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants”, this is all due to the generosity and kindness of the broader community! Thank you!
* Apr ‘20: ICST 2020 Most Influential paper for our ICST 2010 paper “Searching for a Needle in a Haystack: Predicting Security Vulnerabilities for Windows Vista.”
* Jan ‘20: I am honored to receive the IEEE Computer Society 2020 Harlan D. Mills Award. Press release can be found here.
* Oct ‘19: Our ISSRE 2009 paper was recognized in the 30 year ISSRE most influential papers list..
* Aug ‘19: Our ESEC/FSE 2009 paper “Cross-project Defect Prediction: a Large Scale Experiment on Data vs. Domain vs. Process” won the ESEC/FSE test-of-time award at ESEC/FSE 2019 in Tallin!
* May ‘19: Our paper “Software Engineering for Machine Learning: A Case Study” won the IEEE SOFTWARE Best paper award at ICSE 2019 SEIP.
* Mar ‘19: Our paper won the 2nd place in the “Top Ten Computer Science Education Research Papers of the Last 50 Years Recognized at SIGCSE”. ACM Press release here.
I am fascinated by Bande dessinées and am into miniature railroad modeling. I work mostly in the HO and G scale. I also dabble around with RC vehicles.